Here is the trailer for American Football, a documentary about, well, football, but not the pointy ball kind that recently had its big party.
This is about the Seattle Sounders, a Major League Soccer team.
You may be wondering: why should anybody be interested? Major League Soccer is a second-tiered league and soccer is not the most popular sport in North America.
Well, because there is a story to be told (actually many stories) and this documentary looks like it will do a great job of telling those stories.
It is produced by Levy Productions. Recently, they released a rough first cut of the first of hour. You can see it below:
A few thoughts:
- Sigi Schmid is a great coach. I was impressed by his speech, how he not only he called out his players, but himself as well. He ended with a question “How do you want to be remembered?”, which is really a call to action.’
- Very well shot and I love the music!
- You can’t helped but feel touched by the stories of the players and coaches. If I was from the Seattle area, this would make me fall more deeply in love with my team.
- The part where David Estrada was being interviewed had me sobbing
- Having played soccer and worked for a soccer team, I am awed by the speed of play and intensity that they train at.
Even though I’m not a Sounders fan, I’m definitely looking forward to seeing it when it’s released.
A well told story can get anybody interested in anything, no matter how seemingly insignificant the subject matter.